The Family with our newly assembled coop and our new chickens!
Gabe wandered off during a rain storm, Jay and Florence weren't home so we didn't know where he could have gone! While I was walking back from their house I heard a little voice yelling: "Daddy I'm in here!!!" We found him inside the coop safe and warm. Luckily it was nice a clean because it was the day before we picked the chickens up.
We've had fun with these feathered dinosaurs- and now they're laying like crazy so we're getting 5 or 6 eggs a day from 6 chickens. lots of eggs for breakfast around here.
A few little tidbits/references in case anyone is curious:
- www.backyardchickens.com great website for all sorts of help
- Fresh (movie on Netflix) about sustainable food culture- really wonderful and leaves you feeling kind of empowered- like we can do this!
- Food Inc (another movie on Netflix) pretty harsh at points but I think it's totally relevant to see what really happens in factory farming ex: chicken houses, beef farms, ect. It's good to know where your food comes from and not just remain ignorant of what is happening. If you're squeamish I'd suggest Fresh instead.
- Chick Days: an absolute beginner's guide to raising chickens from hatchlings to laying hens by Jenna Woginrich.
- Go to the Library and flip through all the chicken raising books. Some I loved, some were too dry and too...rigid. Enjoy!